Re: GE90 Engines

From:         bareynol@cca.rockwell.com (Brian A. Reynolds)
Date:         07 Jul 95 14:26:18

As a brief follow-up on the RB-211.  This is a 'short core' engine, that is,
it is physically shorter then either the GE or P/W.  With the #2 engine of the
L-1011 mounted along the axis of the fuselege using a 'S-bend' tunnel for air
flow, Lockeed was unable to accomodate either the GE or P/W engines when the
RB-211 fell behind schedule.  Douglas, unable to use the 'S-bend' because of
the Lockeed patent, had a more flexible engine mounting scheme so while the
lack of Rolls engines was an 'inconvenience' to certain customers, it did not
delay the introduction of the airplane.  For a promised savings of 900 pounds
per plane, Lockeed is no longer in the commercial transport business.

I was at a meeting within Douglas related to the addition of the RB-211/524
engine to the MD-11 when the Rolls engineer mentioned that their engines were
'300 pounds lighter' then their competitors.  I had a feeling of deja vu.

This is well documented in an excellent book, 'The Sporty Game.'

Brian