Re: Boeing 717?

From:         kenpac@ix.netcom.com (J. Kenneth Ehlers, Jr )
Date:         07 Jul 95 03:25:04

In <airliners.1995.940@ohare.Chicago.COM> gswetnam@mitre.org (George
Swetnam) writes:

>Perhaps I'm walking into the most frequently asked FAQ in the group, but
>it occurred to me that 717 is the only model number in the series
>707...7n7...777
>
>that I haven't heard of Boeing using for an airliner.  Did Boeing ever
>work on a model by this type, or did 717 get skipped for some cultural
>reason?

The Boeing 717 does exist, it is called the KC-135 or C-135 and all
were initially delivered to the USAF and many are still flying with the
Air Force. There were 820 KC/C-135's built at Renton. The first 29
KC-135A's were designated 717-100A's. Later procurements of the
KC/C-135 were designated 717-146 and 717-148. The first flight was on
31 AUG 1956 and final delivery was in Jan 1965.
Ken