Re: Boeing 717?

From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cambridge.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)
Date:         07 Jul 95 03:25:03

George Swetnam <gswetnam@mitre.org> wrote:
>Perhaps I'm walking into the most frequently asked FAQ in the group, but
>it occurred to me that 717 is the only model number in the series
>
>707...7n7...777
>
>that I haven't heard of Boeing using for an airliner.  Did Boeing ever
>work on a model by this type, or did 717 get skipped for some cultural
>reason?

	Boeing produced a prototype jet transport in the mid-1950s,
which was called the Boeing 367-80 (the odd number was intended to
try to confuse the competition). From this they developed two aircraft,
a commercial passenger jet with model number 707, and a military transport
(primarily intended to be used as a tanker) which they gave model number
717. However, the US military has its own numbering scheme for its
aircraft which is consistent across different manufacturers, and military
aircraft are generally referred to by the designation given by the
military, not that given by their manufacturers. Thus the aircraft
known to Boeing as the 717 is far more commonly known as the C-135.
The most common varient is the KC-135 tanker, although there are others.

	One final point on this matter. A C-135 is _not_ the same thing
as a Boeing 707 adapted to military use. There are very significant
differences between the aircraft (the 707 has a wider fuselage). There
are 707s adapted for military use, but they are given other designations
(E3 for one. E5 also I think. There are a couple of others).

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

All my instincts, they return / And the grand facade, so soon will burn /
Without a noise, without my pride / I reach out from the inside
	- Peter Gabriel