Re: GE90 Engines

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         07 Jul 95 03:25:01

>I belive I recall reading that the Rolls-Royce RB211 series of
>engines initially had difficulty passing the bird impact test,
>delaying somewhat the delivery of the Lockheed L-1011.  Is
>this correct?

Yes, and for very similar reasons -- Rolls-Royce initially designed
the RB.211 with composite fan blades instead of titanium.  When the
composite blades failed the bird strike tests, they had to go back
and redesign the fan, costing them a year and enough money to push
them into bankruptcy, with Lockheed riding down the financial loo
on their coattails.

Fortunately for GE, the technology has improved enough in 25 years
for them to be likely to succeed, though not without a lot of hard
work.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls