Re: FLY-BY-WIRE (AIRBUS vs. BOEING)

From:         hoyme@src.honeywell.com (Ken Hoyme)
Date:         30 Jun 95 03:47:18

Mark.Brown@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Mark Brown) wrote:

> Robert Dorsett writes:
>
>  > Oh, and Boeing is also proudly proclaiming this airplane has more computers
>  > than any other airplane.  Something on the order of 150.  For those who
>  > think this is a good thing, I guess Boeing is winning the chip war. :-)
>
> How many computers does the AIMS count as, I wonder? I thought one of
> the points of AIMS was to centralise a lot of the computer functions
> and so reduce the number of little black boxes? If the count of
> computers is 150, counting the AIMS as 1 (or 3 if you prefer) then
> unless there's _lots_ of extra functionality, I'd say "something
> strange is afoot" .... ^_^

I don't know how the 150 number was arrived at, but I am quite sure that
they would count the AIMS as either 16 or 18 processors (depending on
whether the embedded processors used to support the ARINC 636 AVLAN are
counted as well.)  AIMS consists of two cabinets, each containing four
processor modules, each containing two processors.  Heck, the I/O
controllers could account for another 16, except it is a stretch to call
them processors.

And, I believe each PFC contains 3.  I am not certain how many are in each
ACE. And just about every other box on the airplane has one in it.  The
150 number doesn't supprize me at all.

Ken Hoyme