Re: FLY-BY-WIRE (AIRBUS vs. BOEING)

From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Date:         30 Jun 95 03:47:12

A recent mailing on this list stated:-

>  If the information given to the computer
> is wrong, then problems occur (eg: crash of 320 in France
> where computer aborted a take-off even though the plan was
> already in air because its altimeter "value" was still at 0).

I have studied all of the four fatal crashes of the A320 (Habsheim,
Bangalore, Strasbourg, and Warsaw) in some depth. I can state quite
categorically that no *fatal* crash of an A320 due a computer aborted
take-off has ever occurred. If a lesser incident has happened due to
such a cause, I would be most interested to hear about it, but I would
be extremely surprised if anything serious enough to be described as a
"crash" has ever happened without being widely reported.

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability,
City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax.: +44 (171) 477-8585,
E-mail (JANET): p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk