Cabin Noise on UA 777

From:         "Jan P. Andrews" <jandrews@npr.org>
Date:         30 Jun 95 03:47:09

A audio engineer colleague just returned from a trip to our Chicago
bureau.  He flew a UA 777 from O'Hare to, I believe, Dulles.

My colleague commented that the 777's cabin was interesting, the seats
comfortable and the mini video screen entertaining.  He was made very
uncomfortable, however, by what he said was a loud approx. 7.5-KHz
acoustic "whine" that he believed originated in the ventilation system.

Does anyone familiar with this craft (or at least UA's configuration of
it) have any thoughts or comments on this?

Jan P. Andrews   Project Engineer   Audio Enginering Division
National Public Radio   Washington DC USA    jandrews@npr.org