Re: passenger stairs in aircraft tail

From:         "Larry Stone, United Airlines, 415-634-4725" <STONE_L@Eisner.DECUS.Org>
Date:         27 Jun 95 01:43:16

In article <airliners.1995.873@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Martin Fiddler <entmlf@staffs.ac.uk> writes:
> Certain aircraft - the DC9 / MD80 family, and the british BAC-111, have
> stairs that lower from beneath the tail.   Obviously these are very useful
> at remote airfields, as portable stairs are not needed for the passengers
> to enter and exit.  Possibly there are other aircraft with the same
> facility too.

The 727 has one too.

> Why don't all aircraft have them?   Is it something to do with the rear
> mounted engines on the above two models?    I guess it's much more complex
> from the rear pressure bulkhead aspect, but that doesn't explain why, say,
> the B737 doesn't have them but the DC9 does.

First generation 737s (-1xx/-2xx) had a built in stairs under the 1L door. We
(United) have removed it on ours and I suspect other airlines have too. Why? I
don't know officially but I suspect the weight penalty - there are very few
airports where you would use them today. I don't know if it's available on 2nd
gerneration 737s.

--
Larry Stone                             | United Airlines
VAX and HP-UX Systems Administrator     | Maintenance Operations Center