Re: passenger stairs in aircraft tail

From:         jac@panix.com (John Clear)
Date:         27 Jun 95 01:43:15

In article <airliners.1995.873@ohare.Chicago.COM> Martin Fiddler <entmlf@staffs.ac.uk> writes:
>Certain aircraft - the DC9 / MD80 family, and the british BAC-111, have
>stairs that lower from beneath the tail.   Obviously these are very useful
>at remote airfields, as portable stairs are not needed for the passengers
>to enter and exit.  Possibly there are other aircraft with the same
>facility too.

As far as I know, the DC-9/MD-80/MD-90 have tail evacuation slides, not
stairs.  The B-727 does have rear stairs.

>Why don't all aircraft have them?   Is it something to do with the rear
>mounted engines on the above two models?    I guess it's much more complex
>from the rear pressure bulkhead aspect, but that doesn't explain why, say,
>the B737 doesn't have them but the DC9 does.

B-737, and probably others, have optional built-in stairs by the main
cabin doors.  Depending on model 737, they are either at the left front (L1)
door, or the left rear door.  When mounted at the L1 door, the stairs are
stored just below the cabin floor, and have their own exit from the fuselage
just below the cabin door.  On the rear mounted stairs, they are actually
mounted on the door itself, which opens hinged at the bottom, much like those
of smaller commuter planes.

This is from observations of B-737s.  I'm sure other planes have stairs
built-in as well.  They dont have to be at the tail, like the 727's.

John
--
John `SpaceCadet` Clear - jac@expert.cc.purdue.edu, jac@panix.com
Purdue Daemons; Purdue Pilots, Inc.  PP-ASEL   1Lt, CAP-NYW