Re: passenger stairs in aircraft tail

From:         Don Stokes <Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz>
Date:         27 Jun 95 01:43:14

In article <airliners.1995.873@ohare.chicago.com> you write:
>Certain aircraft - the DC9 / MD80 family, and the british BAC-111, have
>stairs that lower from beneath the tail.   Obviously these are very useful
>at remote airfields, as portable stairs are not needed for the passengers
>to enter and exit.  Possibly there are other aircraft with the same
>facility too.

I can't answer about why aircraft with rear-mounted engines often have
rear-mounted stairs (the 727 has them too), but the 737-200s operated by
Air NZ have or had (all NZ airports that I board 737s from in NZ have
had jetways for some years now) aluminium fold-out stairs located under the
forward left hand door.  These extend from a small hatchway just under
the door.  The stairs extend horizontally, then when fully extended fold
down to the ground.

--
Don Stokes, Network Manager, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
don@vuw.ac.nz(work) don@zl2tnm.gen.nz(home) +64 4 495-5052 Fax+64 4 471-5386