Re: New Aircraft: what's cooking?

From:         rna@gsb-mailhost.stanford.edu (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         27 Jun 95 01:43:11

 <"BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca"@SATURN.GOV.BC.CA> wrote:
>The time taken to load and unload the pax. can be reduced by better
>ground facilities. All airliners have at least two useable doors, but
>virtually all gates have just a single jetway.
>On the rare occasions I have arrived at a -dual- gate, the improvement
>has been dramatic. Once you have convinced half the folks they have to
>turn round to get off, that is.

On a dual aisle aircraft they don't even have to do that if the front
doors on both sides of the aircraft are used.

The Pan Am Worldport gates were designed to do this with 747s.  In
fact they could have three jetways in operation---one each for 2R and 2L,
and one for 1L (I think).  The 1L was designed for first class
passengers, the 2R and 2L for coach.

I dunno if Delta bothers with any of this.  Heck, they don't even fly
747s!

RNA