Re: US News Article/Beoing 777

From:         fmcdave@aol.com (FMCDave)
Date:         27 Jun 95 01:43:10

From: dave83@ix.netcom.com (David kelly) wrote

>I just finished reading the cover story in this weeks US News/World
>report entitltled "Fling Blind". A lot of questions were raised about
>the testing and certification process of the 777, especially in flight
>deployment of the thrust reversers. Not being an expert by any stretch
>in this field, I came away with the impression that the FAA is very
>concerned about protecting Boeing's standing regarding market share.
>How much would Boeing stand to lose if this plane was delayed?
>The article kept referring to 'old' tests that Boeing submitted as a
>basis for certification. There seem to be many safety questions
>regarding the 777 that likely only time will answer. Any other
>opinions?        Dave

Some may accuse me of being somewhat biased, but I have had the experience
of certifying many aircraft as a Systems and Equipment DER.  While I was
not directly involved in the 777 development, I have many acquaintances
on both the FAA and the Boeing side.  The 777 systems were well "wrung"
out by both the Feds and the Boeing people.  It is new technology for
which some rules needed to be written, but there was a very formal method
for creating those rules.  I feel some of the "safety" questions are due
mostly to misunderstanding of the certification process itself.  I also
feel that time will prove that the FAA and the Boeing company not only
followed the rules, but built a safe, reliable product.

Dave