Hafnium & Critical Fusion conditions (was Mysterious plane crash)

From:         prophit@netaxs.com (christian hartleben)
Date:         01 Feb 95 01:51:13

David Thomas (thomasdc@onramp.net) wrote:

: I'm sure a lot of people remember the Indiana plane crash a while back where
: the largest remnant of either human or plane was no larger than a softball.

: Doesn't anyone find this the least bit odd?  I mean this plane had engines
: and people and chairs and wheels...

: What *really* happened??

	Here's an odd theory to go with your odd observation.

Take:
	lightning, mysterious red & blue bolts discussed in the NYTimes.
	hafnium carbide (see below).

Yields:
	one very nasty transition, resulting in an explosion in the
engine, which reached a critical state as the sun's rays struck through
the clouds.  The hydraulics in the rudder did not cause the plane to
roll; it was the torque of the explosion.

	Of course what do I know about the wreckage, the conditions
during the crisis, the angle of the sunlight into the turbines...

	Find me the hafnium, & you'll know what happened to the "... engines
and people and chairs and wheels."

	prophit

--break--
From: jaybird@catt.ncsu.edu (Jay Cuthrell)
Newsgroups: sci.materials
Subject: Re: Indust. uses of Hafnium?
Date: 24 Jan 1995 12:55:41 GMT

Gerald Katz (katz@oasys.dt.navy.mil) wrote:
: In sci.materials, ADEVICE@ix.netcom.com (Robert Nelson) writes:
: >Can anyone inform me of the industrial uses of high purity hafnium?  Who
: >uses this material and for what...
: One major use of hafnium is coatings and alloys for gas turbine engines
: for hot corrosion resistance.  Although hafnium is used as only a small
: % of the aloy, I would imagine they start out with pure hafnium to make
: the alloys

Hmmmm...  pure Hafnium?

Hafnium is more important in the form of a carbide.  These materials
are potential candidates for scram-jet engine components and rocket
nozzels.  The way in which the carbon is introduced to the reaction
to form Hafnium carbide can also serve to increase the porosity (i.e.
lower the desity) making for a more aerospace quality material.

I think that the Russians were were playing with Hafnium carbides at
the turn of the century... this is not a "new" material...

Latra,
Jay
--break--