passenger stairs in aircraft tail

From:         Martin Fiddler <entmlf@staffs.ac.uk>
Date:         22 Jun 95 03:07:38
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Certain aircraft - the DC9 / MD80 family, and the british BAC-111, have
stairs that lower from beneath the tail.   Obviously these are very useful
at remote airfields, as portable stairs are not needed for the passengers
to enter and exit.  Possibly there are other aircraft with the same
facility too.

Why don't all aircraft have them?   Is it something to do with the rear
mounted engines on the above two models?    I guess it's much more complex
from the rear pressure bulkhead aspect, but that doesn't explain why, say,
the B737 doesn't have them but the DC9 does.

I can't figure this one out, so I'd be grateful for any thoughts.  If you
prefer to email me direct, I'll summarise the conclusions for the list
later on.

m.fiddler@staffs.ac.uk