Re: Long term storage

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         29 Jan 95 19:14:48
Followups:    1 2 3 4

>The most striking example was a British Airways B767. Given that this
>aircraft is still in production, I don't understand why it was stored
>like this. One would think that it could be sold or leased instead of
>letting it sit idle.

While the photo captions didn't say so, I'd guess they were 767-200s.
As far as I can trace, BA only had 5 of those, and while quite new,
their smaller size and oddball nature (to BA) relative to the 767-300
probably make them one of the first aircraft to be sidelined when the
traffic levels are down.  BA may not want to sell them in case they
need them when business picks up, and the current abundance of extra
aircraft probably doesn't make leasing a good option either.  (The RR
engines on the BA aircraft probably make them relatively undesireable
lease candidates as well.)

Beyond that, while the 767 is still in production, the vast bulk of
new production is the larger -300 model, and the first -200s are not
far from their 15th birthday.  That's still not old, but they aren't
young either, and with new -300s readily available, the market for a
-200, especially an old one, is probably not great.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls