Re: GE90 Engines

From:         simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig)
Date:         21 Jun 95 02:57:00

>         The article went on to say that GE was
> working on a redesign. I wonder what kind of design
> features an engine could be fitted with that would
> help to pass such a test? Presumably other engines
> have passed this same test. Is anyone familar with
> such features?

I'm not familiar with the features, but I have seen videos of JT9-7R4
series and RB211-G engines undergoing these particular tests.  They are
quite spectacular.

Other tests include a "blade-out" test, where the simulate a fan blade
failure by detonating one of the blades during a take-off power
application.  The blade must be contained in the fan case and from memory,
I think the engine has to sustain 75% power for five minutes or so.  This
test looks even more spectacular than the bird ingestion test.  The blades
on either side bend sideways, flames fly out everywhere, the gearbox
shakes around horrendously, and other exciting things.

Simon

simonlc@ozemail.com.au