Re: Configuration Warning Sys at T/O

From:         polo@SEDS.LPL.Arizona.EDU (Tomasz Natkanski)
Date:         29 Jan 95 19:14:48

Martin at Staffs University, UK (entmlf@cr41.staffs.ac.uk) wrote:
: R. Solene wrote:-

: >After all, didn't the cockpit crew of a Northwest MD-80 forget to
: >extend the wing flaps (via mechanical actuation) just prior to take-off
: >causing a crash and the deaths of some 160 passengers?

: SURELY that can't happen any more!  I thought that after the BA 747 crash
: at Nairobi, in the 70's, full takeoff configuration warning systems
: were mandatory, in all ICAO states?   They would sound a siren if
: anything was amiss (flaps, slats, speedbrakes, spoilers etc) when
: the throttle was advanced for take-off?

I was once on a Lufthansa flight from Warsaw to Frankfurt and the A 310
we flew in didn't extend flaps during take off. Nothing happened, we got
airborn without any problems despite the fact that the plane was almost full.
Does anyone know if this practice is common for A 310 and perhaps for
other airliners?

Thanx

Tomasz Natkanski

polo@seds.lpl.arizona.edu