Re: Airbus side stick

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         21 Jun 95 02:56:47

In article <airliners.1995.785@ohare.Chicago.COM> Jean-Francois Mezei <MEZEI_JF@Eisner.DECUS.Org> writes:
>>If you recall the discussion leading up to that statement, you will no
>>doubt realize this argument is centering on the role of feel.  If two
>>pilots grab the stick at the same time, how, precisely, are they to
>
>"feel" is a very important word here. Feelings can be tactile, aural,
>visual etc etc.
>
>Can anyone categorically state that on Airbus's 320, there is absolutely
>no feedback at all to tell the co-pilot (or pilot) that his joystick is
>not the active one ?

Those of us conducting the discussion, I assume, are familiar with the
technologies involved, and are not talking through our hat.

Yes, the A320 provides kludges to indicate which stick is the active one.
Yes, a gong goes off, and yes, there is a 1.5 cm annunciator on the glare-
shield, with an arrow pointing to the other pilot.

I, however, consider this inadequate compensation.

I apologize, I should have clarified that.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av