Re: FLY-BY-WIRE (AIRBUS vs. BOEING)

From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <MEZEI_JF@Eisner.DECUS.Org>
Date:         15 Jun 95 14:25:27
Followups:    1 2 3 4

I read about the 777's engines stalling during takeoff during a test mission.
Although this may have nothing to do with day to day operation of the 777, it
lead me to the following question:

We know that the computer plays is VERY important role in the 320 and 340.
We know that Boeing decided to keep the pilots in control on the 777.

Although the Airbus's FBW system makes actual flight decisions (eg: pilot
trying to make a movement that is outside aircraft's capabilities) which can
prevent stalling etc etc, I get the impression that Boeing's system is not as
sophisticated and is really a glorified auto-pilot with a couple more warning
buzzers. I get the impression that to Boeing, FBW means just that:

make the interface between joystick and engine/rudders an electronic one.

Am I right in assuming that the Boeing system has less "smarts" built into
it and that Boeing concentrated instead on providing mechanical feedback to
those joysticks to replace the mechanical interfaces that existed between the
pilot and co-pilot ?