Near miss Australia

From:         The Nut <smukherj@metz.une.edu.au>
Date:         15 Jun 95 01:14:01
Followups:    1 2 3 4

It was reported yesterday, Tue June 6th, that there was a near miss over
the Australian desert between a British Airways B747 and a domestic
Qantas B737. It was reported that the aircraft closed to within 150
metres of each other and that the B747 "filled the windscreen" of the
smaller jet. The computer generated pictures were very dramatic.
The B747 was at 31,000 ft and in a standard Sydney-Bangcock(sp?) airway,
while the B737 was on a domestic flight from Alice Springs to Sydney and
was at 29,000 ft. It requested 33,000 ft and was cleared by the
controller to climb to the new altitude, this is when the incident occured.

My question is, I know that this B747 had a collision avoidance radar and
that the B737 did not. The first question is do all B747 have these
radars or is it only the -400 ? The second question is, what is the range
that the radar works at, that is how close does another plane have to get
to a B747 before the warning is sounded and how long do the pilots have
to react?
And finally, why are more planes not fitted with this radar?
Being a pilot myself, I know that closing to within 150 metres would
scare me brainless.

__
Sujit Mukherjee
smukherj@metz.anu.edu.au