GE90 Engines

From:         laewell@iastate.edu (Lars A Ewell)
Date:         15 Jun 95 01:14:00
Followups:    1 2 3

To Whom it May Concern,

	I read in yesterday's New York Times that the
delivery of GE90 engines to Boeing for use in 777s
for British Airways could be delayed to due
failure of the engine in the 'bird ingestion test'.
In this test, an eight pound bird carcass is fired
from a cannon into an aircraft engine running at
full throttle. Evidently, the engine survived the
test but had unacceptable levels of vibration after-
wards.

	The article went on to say that GE was
working on a redesign. I wonder what kind of design
features an engine could be fitted with that would
help to pass such a test? Presumably other engines
have passed this same test. Is anyone familar with
such features?

	thanx,

	Lars Ewell