Re: Airbus side stick

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         06 Jun 95 10:11:02

In article <airliners.1995.689@ohare.Chicago.COM> Ernie Alston <71302.3415@CompuServe.COM> writes:
>  I was a little puzzled by that statement as well. Why would both Pilots
>  be trying to fly the plane at the same time ? Or moving the side sticks
>  in different directions ?

1.  Training flights.  In a conventional aircraft, the instructor knows
precisely what the student is attempting to do.

2.  Evasive maneuvering.  When the aircraft is on autopilot, the PF may
not be immediately aware of a threat.  There is no time to form a committee
and discuss the most viable option, current cockpit management philosophies
notwithstanding.

> I would assume only one Pilot is involved in controlling of the aircraft at
> any time unless a situation requires input from both. But that would be
> coordinated by established procedure. The use of side stick controllers is
> irrelevent in that regard.

What you are referring to is fixing an engineering design problem
in training.  That is completely unacceptable and detrimental to safety.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av