Re: Start-up procedures

From:         gallope@admin.curtin.edu.au (Ted Gallop)
Date:         01 Jun 95 05:01:07

In article <airliners.1995.687@ohare.Chicago.COM> Jeffrey  Casterline <jlc@u.washington.edu> writes:

>        This might rank as one of the dumber questions asked, but do
>modern airliners have any access-control devices to prevent just anyone
>from firing up the engines and then flying away?  I would not expect there
>to be a key, per se, but do the onboard computers use a password, or
>something similar, to prevent this from happening?  Do aircraft
>manufactured by different companies use different methods?  Does access
>vary by airline, i.e. to prevent, say, a United pilot from flying away
>with an American Airlines plane?

No,
There is no key,no password etc.
If you can get onto the flight deck, and you know what you are doing, you can
fire her up.

You need electrics (APU), air (also from the APU) and of course fuel.
If the APU is unserviceable, ground power and air are required for a start.
If ground power is not available, there are even procedures for battery starts
but you still need ground air.

The above is the general case for Boeing. I'm not sure about other
manufacturers (are there any other manufacturers?)

There are as far as I know no differences between airlines.