Re: Start-up procedures

From:         geohull@ditell.com (George Hull)
Date:         01 Jun 95 05:01:05

In article <airliners.1995.687@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Jeffrey  Casterline
<jlc@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>         This might rank as one of the dumber questions asked, but do
> modern airliners have any access-control devices to prevent just anyone
> from firing up the engines and then flying away?  I would not expect there
> to be a key, per se, but do the onboard computers use a password, or
> something similar, to prevent this from happening?  Do aircraft
> manufactured by different companies use different methods?  Does access
> vary by airline, i.e. to prevent, say, a United pilot from flying away
> with an American Airlines plane?

There is no such access-control device on any airliners that I've flown .
. or even on military jet trainers or transports.  If you know the
procedures you can just swipe an airliner if you're so inclined, I
suppose.  You'd probably be challenged aggressively if you attempted to do
that.  The access control is a security issue at the airport.  I could
undoubtedly climb up into the cockpit of a United B-767 and start it and
fly away . . but there are so many things that I want to do with my life
that I don't want to spoil them with a jail term (I work for another
airline . . not United).  Different manufacturers do, indeed, use
different procedures for engine start and operation, but they're not very
hard to start.

George