Re: Start-up procedures

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         01 Jun 95 05:01:04

In article <airliners.1995.687@ohare.Chicago.COM> Jeffrey  Casterline <jlc@u.washington.edu> writes:

>	This might rank as one of the dumber questions asked, but do
>modern airliners have any access-control devices to prevent just anyone
>from firing up the engines and then flying away?

No.

>  I would not expect there
>to be a key, per se, but do the onboard computers use a password, or
>something similar, to prevent this from happening?

No.

> Do aircraft
>manufactured by different companies use different methods?

No.

> Does access
>vary by airline, i.e. to prevent, say, a United pilot from flying away
>with an American Airlines plane?

No.

The closest I've seen to this is on an Air National Guard KC-135 at an
airshow at Bergstrom AFB a few years ago: they had a 3-digit combination
lock rounded over the four start levers.

You'll note, though, that the more primitive the airplane, the more likely
it is you will see an ignition key similar to that used in a car.  No jet
airliner I am aware of uses such a method.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av