Re: New Aircraft: what's cooking?

From:         jis@summit.novell.com (Jishnu Mukerji)
Date:         01 Jun 95 05:01:02

In article <airliners.1995.678@ohare.Chicago.COM>, comanche@southwind.net (Andrew Muir) writes:
|> In article <airliners.1995.630@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
|>
|> >2) Boeing is working on a re-winged and stretched version of the 747.
|> >
|> I haven't heard of any work on the rewinged, stretched 747, but Boeing
|> does have 3 rewinged 737 versions in design and committed to
|> production, with a possible 4th. And is considering a shorter 777 for
|> 8000 mile routes.

The 24 - 30 May, 1995 issue of Flight International has an article
on Page 5, in which the President of the Boeing Commercial Airplane
Group Ron Woodard is quoted as saying that "Clearly, the 747 will
have a long and substantial future". The article goes on to describe
how Boeing is studying a -500 and -600 versions of the 747. Both
are said to be stretched derivatives of the current 747. Both are
based on the current fuselage but a new wing based on the 777
design. The -500 is a 500-600 passenger jet while -600 will be
capable of carrying ~800.

--
Jishnu Mukerji
jis@summit.novell.com