Re: FLY-BY-WIRE (AIRBUS vs. BOEING)

From:         mpreuss@electra.synapse.net (Merlin R. Preuss)
Date:         01 Jun 95 05:00:54

In article <airliners.1995.650@ohare.Chicago.COM>, you say...
>In article <airliners.1995.627@ohare.Chicago.COM>, gman@bu.edu (George Mantis) writes:

>> Airbus definitely gives their FBW systems more "authority" than Boeing does
>> with theirs. The result: an awfully high number of Airbus crashes, due to
>> pilots that are either unsure of the autopilot's reaction, or the pilots
>> "fighting" the inputs of the autopilot. In short, I'd have to say they
>> definitely have it wrong.
>
>Always the same kind of assertion. Some STATISTICS, please !

I've been following this thread for a while and as I have found
before, there is a lot of emotion in Boeing vs Airbus.  Some
relevant information is that the technology has been implemented
differently by each company.  The pilot perspective was given more
credance by Boeing designers than by Airbus designers which resulted
in a different operating philosophy being required.  An Airbus (new
technology aircraft like A300-600, A310, A320 family) pilot is more
a flight manager by design than a Boeing pilot; therefore, the
training required is different.  Which is better I cannot say, but
what I can say is that if you do not acknowledge and address the
differences there can be trouble.

The "statistics" point this out.  With the exception of the last
A310 crash, which the latest info I have says it was caused by a
bomb which rendered the aircraft unserviceable in a dramatically
illustrative way, all of the new technology Airbus aircraft that
crashed did so fully airworthy ie the pilots were a major if not
sole cause factor predominantly because, I believe, their training
was inadequate.  Statistics also show that there have been no
accidents with the new technology aircraft, B757, B767 and
B747-400 except for a suspected mechanical problem with a reverse
actuator on an Austrian B767.

Again, to say that Airbus is less safe than Boeing based on this
information is a shallow analysis with a potential to overlook some
of the benefits built in to the Airbus technology.  One especially
comes to mind and that is that for the A320 family (A321, A319,
A330, and A340)and newer full transitions courses are not required
due to the similarities only differences courses are required not
only enhancing safety for company pilots flying more than one type
and of course saving money for the industry.

Merlin R. Preuss
Ontario Canada
********I'd rather be flying, but........****