Re: New Aircraft: what's cooking?

From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         22 May 95 02:46:19

I have an article dated sometime in 1968 entitled "747 - Why?" which
laments the total senslessness of Boeing's building an airplane which
could carry upwards of 450 people. Such an airplane will swamp airports,
create nightmares for ATC, be a tragedy ready-made when they crash, etc,
etc.  Hard to believe an aviation writer was so short sighted then, and
hard to believe we can't forsee the need for a 600-800 pax airplane now.
Granted, we might not need one *today* (on some routes we do), but what
about ten or twenty years from now?  A recession is a short lived thing.
So what if there is a recession?  Twenty years from now there won't be,
and if we don't have a magabus airplane we'll all be stuck flying those
old rustbucket 747-400s and A340s all over the place...

My $.02 worth :)

Jennings Heilig