Re: Boeing Design Philosphy

From:         "M.A. van der Eijk" <M.vanderEijk@LR.TUDelft.NL>
Date:         22 May 95 02:46:17

Sir,

In your article 'Boeing Design Philosophy' dated 17 may 1995 you stated
(in other words) that primary control of the aircraft should be with the
crew (i.e. the captain). According to this statement I have two questions:

1. The central maintenance computer of a Boeing 747-400 registers
non-flight deck effects. These 'errors' can not be recognized by the crew,
but can be important for the maintenance department. Who determines the
importancy of these effects and what is the right treatment of these
effects according to you?

2. With the development of more and more computers on board as well as
systems for aircraft positioning and navigation, won't there come a time
when (for example in aircraft positioning) computers will overrule the
manual input by the crew?

P.S.
I attended the FLight International congress on the 5 and 6 of may 1994 in
Paris. You told everyone they could get a copy of the FANS II document. In
my new position with KLM, I am interested in a copy. Could you please send
 me one?
Ir. M.A. van der Eijk
Oude Delft 155
2611 HA  Delft