Re: FLY-BY-WIRE (AIRBUS vs. BOEING)

From:         tshepherd@med-med1.bu.edu (Thornton Shepherd)
Date:         22 May 95 02:46:17
Followups:    1 2 3

bosc@perige.eis.enac.dgac.fr (Jean-Francois Bosc) wrote:
>In article <airliners.1995.627@ohare.Chicago.COM>, gman@bu.edu (George Mantis) writes:
>
>> Airbus definitely gives their FBW systems more "authority" than Boeing does
>> with theirs. The result: an awfully high number of Airbus crashes, due to
>> pilots that are either unsure of the autopilot's reaction, or the pilots
>> "fighting" the inputs of the autopilot. In short, I'd have to say they
>> definitely have it wrong.
>
>Always the same kind of assertion. Some STATISTICS, please !
>
>JF
>
>PS : Since this post will probably be censored like the previous ones,
>I think I can comment about the amount of unsubstantiated allegations
>against Airbus that ARE NOT censored on this group. I personally am just
>requesting FACTS, ie STATISTICS. Any honesty around there ?
>
>PPS : This may be slightly epidermic. Too bad I don't have the stats myself, maybe they would pass, after all.

Jean-Francois,

I don't know about you but when I sit down to go through the lastest
items on the newsgroup, I am not interested in seeing  pure
statistical data all over the place.  I am interested in opinions,
facts, news and views.  When I want to confirm an item that stirs
my curiosity, I will research it on my own and very often, I'll
find the statistics at that time.

Judging from your e-mail address, you are with the DGAC in France
(like the US FAA) so I think you may be a bit more sensitive to
what you perceive as Airbus-bashing.  Your company probably knows
more about the Airbus design philosophy than anyone outside Airbus
itself.  Please realize that the best way to get YOUR view across
is to write about it just like everyone else does.  Don't sit there
and whine about censorship etc.  Frankly, I wouldn't mind hearing
some views in defense of Airbus' design philosophies.  A man from
Boeing put some of that company's thoughts on the news group.
Maybe you can do the same.  If you have some views, please let me
and the other readers know.  Thanks.

Thornton