Re: FLY-BY-WIRE (AIRBUS vs. BOEING)

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         17 May 95 17:24:48

Jean-Francois Bosc writes:
>> The result: an awfully high number of Airbus crashes, due to
>> pilots that are either unsure of the autopilot's reaction, or
>> the pilots "fighting" the inputs of the autopilot.

>Always the same kind of assertion. Some STATISTICS, please !

AW&ST had a number of articles spread over two issues several months
ago detailing various concerns about complex, new flight deck designs
and problems with the pilot-aircraft interface in these systems.  A
rather memorable observation was the remarkable number of crashes or
serious incidents of late in which comments such as "what is this
thing doing?!" are heard from the pilots.  One article lists many of
the accidents/incidents involving this sort of problem.  I'm afraid
I don't have it handy, but I'll try to dig it out if nobody else beats
me to it.