Re: Airplane Toilets

From:         Steve Howie <showie@uoguelph.ca>
Date:         12 May 95 03:22:51

Neil Harding (neil.harding@hertford.oxford.ac.uk) wrote:
: My girlfriend does not believe me when I tell her that certain older,
: currently flying airliners deposit their sanitary waste out of the back
: of the aircraft during flight. Which leads to the phenomenon known as
: 'blue ice'.

No aircraft are legally permitted to do this. Toilets must be emptied by
one of the so-called "honey wagon" waste-removal trucks after the aircraft
has landed.  "Blue Ice" is usually the result of a leak to the outside of
the fuselage allowing waste to congeal into a frozen lump which eventually
breaks off and falls to earth. The blue colour is probably due to the
disinfectant in the toilet water.

That reminds me - time for lunch! :)

Steve Howie				Email:	showie@uoguelph.ca
NetNews and Gopher Admin.  		Phone:	(519) 824-4120 x2556
Computing and Communications Svcs.	Fax:	(519) 763-6143
University of Guelph