Re: Rudder control & front gear

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         12 May 95 03:22:50

kinsler@bobcat.ent.ohiou.edu (Mark Kinsler ) wrote:

>>For instance, the rudder pedals can bias the nose gear on a 757 7 degrees,
>>but the tiller can bias them 65 degrees.  The 727 has similar limitations;
>>the tiller can bias up to 78 degrees.

>Does this mean that the nose wheel is connected by a linkage to the
>rudder pedals, or does it just work like a caster in response to the
>thrust provided by the rudder?

>                                    Mark Kinsler

The Rudder peddles are connected by linkage (depending on aircraft) to
the nose gear. as the peddles are depressed cables move a valve which
orts hydraulics to one side of the steering pistons. As was said the
peddles usually move the nose gear around 7-10 degrees.
The airbus A-320 uses a different method.  The nose gear is steered by
electrical inpust to a servo valve which ports the required hydraulics
to the appropriate actuator.

This is a simple description. I could get more tech\nical but I dont
want to type in that much. 3 pages in the book.