Re: Connecting Wings to Fuselage - Question

From:         Colin Povey <cpovey@delphi.com>
Date:         12 May 95 03:22:49

JOSEPH PETER UHLARIK JR <jpu@kaiwan.com> writes:

>Over the years, it appears that it is common that the fit is not exact.

>Is the mechanical connection done with bolts going through holes? If there
>is a mismatch, what is the method used to allow the wing to be joined.
>I know that they do not go out and build another wing.   ;-)
>
>Are holes enlarged? Are new holes drilled? Does anyone have any idea
>how large the mismatches are if measured in inches, for example?

I have seen a film of this.  The fit is pretty good, you can be sure
(Boeing reported less than a tenth of an inch displacmanr in the
wingtip location on the first 777.  Anyway, large pins (about the
size of your wrist) and cooled in liquid Nitrogen to cause them to
"shrink".  The wing and fusalage sections are mated, then the pins inserted.
As they warm, they expand to fill the holes exactly adn firmly.
Hope this helps.