Re: History question:

From:         ehahn@bass.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         12 May 95 03:22:46

   I have been looking at a photo of the L-649 Constellation.  A
   most beautiful aircraft....

   Why was thte fuselage curved like that?  I can't see any
   advantage in it: it would have been expensive (copmpared to the
   cylinder fuselages of contemporary airlines).

   Any ideas?
====
Yes, the fuselage was curved to mimic an airfoil shape.  If you looked
at a vertical slice along the centerline, the fuselage appears to be
shaped like a wing section.

Practically, this didn't help much, and the super constellations
(L-1049), while maintaining a graceful shaped curve, didn't maintain
the shape of a wing section (airfoil).

My. $0.02,

ed

--------   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   --------