Re: Fourth landing gear on MD aircraft ?

From:         Nicolas Murat <vis@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date:         12 May 95 03:22:45

> MD-11; there's an excellent photograph of a Swissair MD-11 that shows
> off the gear in the 1992-1993 Jane's. For a really serious set of
> legs, take a look at the AN-225 in the same issue.

Someone mentioned that the A340 also had a fourth landing gear under its
belly.  The A340 does indeed have one,  designed to support the central
part of the aircraft.

If any of you have the chance of seeing an A340 up close and personal
when it is NOT loaded, you will notice that the central landing gear does
not touch the ground. It's actually about 1" to 1"1/2 in the air when the
pane is empty. I was a little startled when I first saw that.

Bernie
vis@leland.stanford.edu
Airbus Freak