Re: Aircraft Turnaround

From:         simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig)
Date:         08 May 95 02:09:10

In article <airliners.1995.568@ohare.Chicago.COM>, tssmith@netcom.com (Tim
Smith) wrote:

> pleavin@hk.super.net (Mr Ted Pleavin) writes:
> >The cockpit crew are busy doing prefilght checks as well, which
> >ussally includes a walk arround and loading the navigation information.
> >About 20 minutes before departure the passengers show up and you know the
> >rest.  :-)
>
> Are actual walkarounds still done by aircrew? I tend to watch what
> happens before flights that I take, and in the past 15 years or so, I
> can't ever remember seeing the flight crew go to the ground and walk
> around the aircraft. I'm not saying that they never do, just that I
> have never seen it. What is the SOP for commercial aircarriers?

Qantas flight crew are required to do a walk around (as well as the
engineering personnel) though it is normally the junior and (in my
experience) I am not sure if they really know what they are looking for.
By junior I mean second officer (or whoever is the least senior of
course!)

Simon Craig

simonlc@ozemail.com.au