Re: History question:

From:         jliebson@roadrunner.com (John Liebson)
Date:         08 May 95 02:09:06

mholt@freenet.vcu.edu wrote:

>I have been looking at a photo of the L-649 Constellation.  A
>most beautiful aircraft....

>Why was thte fuselage curved like that?  I can't see any
>advantage in it: it would have been expensive (copmpared to the
>cylinder fuselages of contemporary airlines).

You can "blame" Howard Hughes; the original design was done on pieces
of a paper in a typical-for-Hughes hush-hush meeting between Lockheed
engineers and Hughes, to create a US--coast-to-coast airliner, and the
hull design just sort of happened that way to meet Hughes' perceived
needs.

You want to see an aircraft arguably *the* most beautiful airliner
ever, look at pictures of the Super-G Connie.