Re: British Airways 747's

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         16 Jan 95 21:58:18

>Now BA have three generations of 747's.  100's from the early 70's,
>200's from late 70's to early's 80's (plus a few as late as about
>1990), and then all the 400's they already have

The last -200 appears to have been delivered in February, 1988, about
14 months before the first -400.

>So has anyone come across what they are going to do with all these
>planes.  The 100's must be about ready for retirement

I think they've already dumped quite a few of their -100s.

>BA seems quite rare in having hung onto it's original planes for so
>long.

United sold their first five 747-122s to Pan Am in the early eighties,
but kept the other thirteen, which had the newer, larger upper cabin
(with lots of windows instead of three).  Subsequently, after they had
acquired Pan Am's Pacific Division, they acquired five ex-American
-123s of comparable age to the five they had disposed of.

Northwest still has a number of 747-100s, including some even more
ancient than the ex-American ones in United's fleet, though quite a
few of these are stored.

Besides ancient 747s, United still has their first 737 (fifth off the
line!), and it's only been a few years since they retired the very
first 727 -- after around thirty years of service!

While the airlines don't brag about it, I suspect you'd be surprised
at how many of these ancient aircraft are still flying for their
original owner.  This is probably especially true for 747s, which have
a relatively easy life (low cycles, well-maintained for overwater
flights) and are particularly expensive to replace.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls