Re: Aircraft Turnaround

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         05 May 95 03:27:17

In article <airliners.1995.523@ohare.Chicago.COM> bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies) writes:
>mcelroy@avd00.larc.nasa.gov (Marcus O. McElroy) wrote:
>
>>Would anyone know what is involved in preparing a flight for turnaround
>>on a SFO-NRT-SFO run?
>
>Typically, turnarounds take 1 hour (scheduled) but can be done faster.
>I know from experience that an aircraft as large as an L-1011 can be
>turned in less than 1 hour, But that is only if everything goes
>perfect.
>Refuelling can also take time but if properly organized should be
>complete before the passengers are all onboard.

You're forgetting something major--after a 14-hour flight, that airplane
will be a MESS.  This is NOT a transit stop being described, it's a *new*
flight, and the boarding passengers have an expectation of seeing a relat-
ively spiffy airplane.  This means:

- Refuelling
- Cleaning of lavatories and tanks.
- Cleaning of the cabin section
- Seat-backs re-stocked with goodies
- Coordination of supply functions
- Routine maintenance functions.
- Passenger essentials (booze, food)

I would guess 2-3 hours for something like a 747.  From experience, if it's
a transit stop, many passengers will not deplane, so the turn-around can
be done in shorter amounts of time.  I've been on many a 747 or L-1011
that's been refuelled and given a perfunctory wipe in less than 20-45 minutes.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av