Airbus sidestick

From:         irf1001@thor.cam.ac.uk (Ian Furlonger)
Date:         05 May 95 03:27:13
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

Are any pilots out there prepared to comment on the ergonomics of the
Airbus "sidestick", as opposed to the traditional control column? Boeing
are sticking with the latter, but I can appreciate the attractions of an
uncluttered cockpit, especially if the bulk of landings are performed
automatically.

When learning to fly a Piper Tomahawk, my instructor advised me only to use
the left hand on the control column, thus leaving the right hand free for
all the central controls. But I would still ask whether an Airbus captain
might be disadvantaged by being restricted to the use of his left hand for
controlling the aircraft upon landing...

- Ian
--
==  Email: irf1001@cam.ac.uk                          |   Ian Furlonger  ==
==  http://callisto.girton.cam.ac.uk/users/irf1001    |  Girton College  ==