Fuel dumps

From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <MEZEI_JF@Eisner.DECUS.Org>
Date:         05 May 95 03:27:11

> I'm not certain that all airliners have the capability of dumping fuel.
> I don't recall this being an available option on the ones I'm familiar
> with.

Based on the transcript of a conference about the UA 232 (DC10 at Sioux City),
the pilot commented on the DC10s inability to dump ALL its fuel. He said
that the engineers made a  decision to leave enough fuel for landing
during the dump operation.

Since most fuel dumps occur for reasons other than tragedy, it makes sense that
the fuel dump activity would not empty the tanks completely as the purpose is
to lighten the plane for landing instead of removing all flammables to prevent
fire during a crash.