Re: New 737 engine intakes?

From:         chuanga@iia2.org
Date:         02 May 95 13:27:42

>>Will the new wing for the new models of 737s mean that Boeing can
>>do away with the oval 737 engine intakes?
>
>It's not really the wing but the landing gear -- the flattened bottom
>of the nacelle is to provide adequate ground clearance and resistance
>to foreign object ingestion (and damage) with the larger engines of
>the newer 737s.  I wouldn't expect the new wing to significantly alter
>clearance.

I was once told that the flattened inlet on the -3/4/500 wasn't really
necessary, but they decided to use it anyway because it was already
designed.  So, I had the impression that the -6/7/800 would have a circular
inlet.  However, I have noticed in a recent picture of a -6/7/800 model
plane which has been tested in a British wind tunnel, the engine intakes
are still flattened at the bottom.

--
  H Andrew Chuang   chuanga@iia2.org
** If you want to reply to my posting, you will need to edit the e-mail