Re: in-flight engine shutdown / antiquated ATC equip

From:         petercoe@netcom.com (Peter J. Coe)
Date:         02 May 95 13:27:40
Followups:    1 2 3 4

lchiluku@ucsd.edu (R. & L. Chilukuri) writes:

>The pilot later reported that the engine had shut down. The pilot had to
>descend to unusually low altitudes because of a loss in cabin pressure.
>The shut-down of one engine meant the loss of an air conditioning unit,
>and the remaining unit overheated.

I had heard about this shutdown, and could not work out why they had
lost cabin pressure.  Now I know.  This is precisely the the kind
of thing that worries me about ETOPS.  Sure it seems safe enough to
fly an aircraft on one engine, but that one engine is now running at
at least 200% of it's normal cruise power.  Things will be bound to
break.  I would think that the statistics used to say ETOPS are safe,
are flawed.  They are based on the reliability of an engine in a twin
engine set up.  Not a single engine at greater power.

One day one of these babies is going to splash.