Re: in-flight engine shutdown / antiquated ATC equip

From:         rjg@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Robert J. Gordon)
Date:         02 May 95 13:27:39

In <airliners.1995.519@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>Except, as you note later, the aircraft was in constant contact with
>United in Chicago via more modern communications equipment, and thus
>its position was known and could have been communicated to resuce
>operations should it have been forced to ditch.  The whole article
>seemed rather stilted to me, with the real problem (archaic radio for
>trans-oceanic ATC) lost in hysteria.

The full story was in the NYT, Thursday 4/27, p. A9 in the national edition.
It included the hairy detail that the pilot had requested that a heliocopter
be sent up from Bermuda in case the plane had to ditch.~~ and that BDA didn't
have any heliocopters available at the time.

The plane landed at BDA and had to have its brakes hosed down, since it could
not reverse engines on landing (having lost one of the engines).

Later on one of the wire services (quoted on clari.biz.industry.aviation) the
FAA issued a statement that the plane was never in danger, didn't request a
heliocopter, and the plane (763) can fly long distances on one engine.
--
*    Robert J. Gordon <rjg@nwu.edu>                  office  (708) 491-4757 *  *
*    Chair, Department of Economics               office fax (708) 491-5427 *