Big hailstorm at DFW

From:         haynes@cats.ucsc.edu (James H. Haynes)
Date:         02 May 95 13:27:38

I heard on the radio this morning that there was a severe hailstorm at DFW
and that American Airlines has cancelled hundreds of flights because of
actual or possible damage to their fleet.  There was no mention of other
carriers.  Is this selective reporting, or was the storm so localized
that only AA was affected?  I assume the exact location and severity of
hailstorms is so unpredictable that there are no reasonable protective
measures that can be taken.  Is it likely the airplanes are repairable,
or does big enough hail do fatal damage to an airframe?  What fraction of
a carrier's fleet is typically on the ground at one place at one time
so that this kind of thing can happen?