Re: Turn rate of Airliners

From:         furtaw6@popail.mcs.com (Bob Furtaw)
Date:         02 May 95 13:27:36

In article <airliners.1995.496@ohare.Chicago.COM>, lemabius@tasc.com
(Lawrence E. Mabius) wrote:

> I'm building a simulation with commercial aircraft.  I need to the know
> the relationship of the the turn rate to the aircraft speed.  I've been
> told that aircraft turn at rates up to 3 degrees per second.  That
> requires a significant acceleration at 600 knots.  How fast do large
> commercial aircraft turn at 600 knots and 300 knots?  Thanks!

atan theta = 2 pi V / gt

where: V is aircraft volocity
       9 gravity constant (32.17)
       t is time to make 360 degree turn

atan theta is the bank angle, keep all the bases the same.

or, rule of thumb...airspeed/10 + 7 for answer in kts.
                    airspeed/10 + 5 for answer in mph.

--
Bob Furtaw  W8IL   e-mail: furtaw6@popmail.mcs.com
CFI-A-I/M/G, CGI-A/I