Re: Turn rate of Airliners

From:         wolpjame@cwis.isu.edu (Jim Wolper)
Date:         02 May 95 13:27:35

>I'm building a simulation with commercial aircraft.  I need to the know
>the relationship of the the turn rate to the aircraft speed.  I've been
>told that aircraft turn at rates up to 3 degrees per second.  That
>requires a significant acceleration at 600 knots.  How fast do large
>commercial aircraft turn at 600 knots and 300 knots?  Thanks!

Turn rate varies with true airspeed.  For low airspeeds there are
various rules-of-thumb relating bank angle to speed.  I divide
the speed by 6, others divide by 10 and add 5.  As you can see,
this would get out of hand for high speeds.

Instead, jets use a maximum bank angle of 30 degrees.
--
Jim Wolper CFII
Department of Mathematics         <email: wolperj@pequod.isu.edu>