Connecting Wings to Fuselage - Question

From:         jpu@kaiwan.com (JOSEPH PETER UHLARIK JR)
Date:         01 May 95 02:44:04
Followups:    1 2 3

Occasionally I have seen press reports about the progress on a new airplane
in which the milestone of joining the wings to the fuselage is mentioned.
Over the years, it appears that it is common that the fit is not exact.
Is the mechanical connection done with bolts going through holes? If there
is a mismatch, what is the method used to allow the wing to be joined.
I know that they do not go out and build another wing.   ;-)

Are holes enlarged? Are new holes drilled? Does anyone have any idea
how large the mismatches are if measured in inches, for example?
Why should such mismatches occur and not be designed out in the first
place?

Any insights that can be provided would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe jpu@kaiwan.com