Re: Fuel dump before crash-landing

From:         geohull@ditell.com (George Hull)
Date:         01 May 95 02:44:02

<IO00656@MAINE.maine.edu> wrote:

>      I know that pilots dump fuel when they need to land soon after take off
> because maximum landing weight is usually significantly less than maximum take
> off weight.  However, since most deaths in crash-landings are due to fire or
> smoke, shouldn't it be standard proceedure to dump fuel before a crash
landing?

Many modern airliners do not have the capability to dump fuel.  The B-757
and the domestic B-767 have no such capability.  Nor does the B-737.  On
the B-727 it is possible to dump fuel for the purpose that you mentioned .
. to reduce the landing weight which should be less than the takeoff
weight.  But even on a B-727 it is possible to land at max takeoff weight
. . a lengthy inspection is required after such a landing.

Dumping fuel is not always desirable.  There are obvious environmental
concerns, as well as the need to avoid the area in which the fuel has been
dumped . . you don't want to fly through it.  There are many reasons to
return immediately after takeoff . . seldom do those returns result in
fiery crashes.  I've been personally involved in a couple of fuel dumping
incidents, neither of which made the papers.

George